Mike Malloy Forum Index Mike Malloy
Welcome Truthseekers!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Honor Roll of Christo-Fascist Perverts.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
antifascist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Honor Roll of Christo-Fascist Perverts. Reply with quote

Quote:
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit."
(Matthew 7:15,17)

This incident with Bush official and leader of the Christian Right-wing, Claude Allen, has inspired me to do this thread on Christian fascist sex crimes. The Christian right wing keeps saying they are the moral leaders of society and should run the government. So let us look closely at the Christian right-wing community sub-culture.

Many of the scandals that occur in the Christian community are not cover nationally by the mainstream media. Often the stories hide the role of ministers, protect the privacy of the accused, and only give piecemeal coverage of the legal outcome. Fundamentalist churches are not centralized like the Catholic Church so no trend is visible in the national mainstream media.

We see the same pattern of fundatmentalists churches behaving as cult organizations and acting as cover for pedophiles on nearly the same scale as the Catholic church. I say "nearly" because the Catholic church is more homongeneous whereas the fundatmentalists churches are decentralized and independant; therefore, the pattern of abuse is more difficult to recognized.

The victims in the Catholic churches tend to be young boys, and in the fundatmentalists churches the victims tend to be adult women and young girls.

The first posts will be about murder, mayhem, and torture--mostly of children--and then switch to routine child rape and sodomy by ministers and church members.

Quote:

Claude Allen
Wiki
Claude Allen (October 11, 1960 - ) was the Assistant to the President of the United States for Domestic Policy in the George W. Bush White House; he was appointed to that position in January 2005.[1] Allen resigned on February 9, 2006. Allen is a conservative African-American Republican.

Career
Allen graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. in 1982. He was a staff member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee from 1985 to 1987, considered to be a key aide there to Jesse Helms. In 1990, he was awarded a J.D. degree from Duke University School of Law.

From 1990 - 1991, Allen was a law clerk for David B. Sentelle, a judge on the U. S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit. He was an Associate at Baker & Botts in Washington, D.C. from 1991 to 1995. He then served in the Virginia Attorney General's Office from 1995 to 1998, before becoming Secretary (Commissioner) of Health and Human Resources for the State of Virginia.

In 2001, Allen was appointed as the Deputy Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services.

Allen's nomination in 2004 to become a federal judge on the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals was opposed by liberal and civil rights groups such as People for the American Way and the NAACP. The nomination was derailed by a filibuster by Senate Democrats. [2]

Policy positions
Says Allen of condom use: "It's like telling your child, 'Don't use the car,' but then leaving the keys in the Lamborghini and saying, 'But if you do, buckle up.'" [3] He believes that sex education should be teaching abstinence-only.

Allen is strongly against abortion rights. For example, as Commissioner he opposed legislation that provided health insurance to children because the legislation included giving state money to underage girls for abortions who had been victims of rape, incest, and other forms of sexual abuse. [4]

Allen has been called a "notorious homophobe".
2006 Resignation
Allen resigned from the White House on February 9, 2006. His short letter to the president called it "the best decision for my family." The Washington Times reported the following day that "According to a military source, Mr. Allen resigned to protest the White House's refusal to lean on the Pentagon about the issue [of allowing military chaplains to be more explicit about their faith]."

The actual reason for resigning became clear after Allen was arrested on March 9, 2006, for multiple counts of felony theft in Montgomery County, Maryland. According to police, Allen allegedly committed "refund theft," a form of criminal activity in which goods are fraudulently returned for cash to stores. Allen had been apprehended by a Target store employee on January 2, 2006 but was not formally charged until March.

Quote:

AllaroundPhilly
Allen has been under investigation since at least January for the alleged thefts on 25 occasions at Target and Hecht's stores, said police spokesman Lt. Eric Burnett. Police reviewed his credit card records to track his purchase.

Police believe Allen would buy items, take them to his car, then return to the store with his receipt. He would select the same items, then take them to the store return desk and show the receipt from the first purchase. Using that method, he would receive credit for the second items on his credit cards, Burnett said.

Allen was allegedly seen Jan. 2 at a Target in Gaithersburg, Md., taking items off the shelf that he then took to the return desk. He had a receipt for the merchandise, was given a refund and left.

The items he allegedly received fraudulent refunds for included clothing, a Bose theater system and stereo equipment. Some purchases were for as little as $2.50.

Quote:

The Hotline
Late last week, he was in good spirits as he briefed allies and surrogates about the President's State of the Union message. On Tuesday, he attended a conference in PA on the president's faith based initiative.

Allen enjoys a warm relationship with moral conservative groups in Washington. As a senior political appointee at the Department of Health and Human services, he was the administration's point person on abstinence initiatives.

Last edited by antifascist on Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
BA_BureauChief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering all the insider trading and self-serving initiatives that go on within BushCo, the obvious question becomes: Claude Allen is different because.........?

Oh, yeah, he got caught. And was penny-ante compared to Deadeye Dick. Chances are he'll see far more prosecution than the mega-thieves looting the Afghanistan / Iraq / Katrina / Rita reconstructions, too.

Surprised he got away with it for as long as he had. Target (like everybody else) databases sales and returns by customer name / credit card number / checking account number to flag 'frequent flyers' at the return counter. My fave experience was at the customer service counter of a Wally World last summer when I asked to check the balance on a gift card. Woman in front of me was returning a kid's talking toy because the little voice inside 'sounded like a queer'.

Wouldn't want that in her christian home............. Laughing
BinaBecker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"George Bush doesn't care about black people." --Kanye West

Unless, of course, one of them commits a peccadillo. Then it doesn't matter if he's a perfect Oreo like this guy. He's suddenly someone Prince Hal doesn't know anymore.

The big crooks, needless to say, go unpunished...which is awful white of them all.

'Bina.
antifascist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Republican Felon Claude Allen Reply with quote

Quote:
Bush Appoints Arch-Conservative Claude Allen As Chief Domestic Policy Adviser
DemocracyNow.org
January 12th, 2005

In an article titled "The Bush Theocracy," journalist Doug Ireland writes:
"President Bush's appointment of his new chief domestic-policy adviser, Claude Allen - a notorious homophobe, a ferocious enemy of abortion and an opponent of safe-sex education who for years has been one of the AIDS community's principal enemies - is a huge victory for the social reactionaries of the Christian right.

"Allen, who was named to his new position in the White House last week, had previously been a top aide at the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). He was placed there by Karl Rove as a watchdog on then - HHS Secretary Tommy Thompson, who had an exaggerated reputation as a "moderate" and who wasn't entirely trusted by Rove to carry out - by administrative order - the social agenda of the Christian right, a key part of Rove's successful plan to mobilize millions of Christer voters for Bush's re-election."

Doug Ireland, longtime radical political journalist and media critic. He has been a columnist for The Nation magazine, Village Voice, the New York Observer and the Paris daily Liberation. He is also a contributing editor of POZ, the monthly for the HIV-positive community.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RUSH TRANSCRIPT

AMY GOODMAN: Doug Ireland, you wrote a previous piece called, "The Bush Theocracy: Righteous Homophobe Claude Allen Brings His Agenda to the White House." Can you talk about this nominee who almost got no attention?

DOUG IRELAND: Yes. In many ways the appointment of Claude Allen as chief domestic policy adviser to George Bush, which was announced last week is more important than the appointment of Chertoff, because it tells us a great deal more about the nature of the Bush administration in Bush’s second term. Claude Allen is a black conservative who is a darling of the religious right. He is considered a copout and collaborationist by many in the black community because for many years he was a top aide to Jesse Helms, the United States senator from North Carolina, who was a notorious race-baiter in his campaigns. And Claude Allen worked for Jesse Helms and didn't quit even when Jesse Helms opposed making Martin Luther King's birthday a national holiday. But more important, Claude Allen has a long record of subordinating public health to the agenda of the religious right. When he was Virginia's Commissioner of Health and Human Services under republican governor Jim Gilmore, a conservative governor for example -- Claude Allen as Commissioner opposed legislation that would provide health insurance to children because the legislation included giving state money to underage girls for abortions who had been victims of rape, incest, and other forms of sexual abuse. And when the legislation was passed despite Claude Allen's opposition to it, he pulled a deliberate slowdown in enrolling the children of Virginia into this program, and he admitted that the reason he had done so was because of the abortion issues. So Allen was perfectly prepared to sacrifice the health and well-being of underage girls who had been victims of sexual abuse to the agenda of the Christian right, which he carries out so faithfully.

AMY GOODMAN: Doug Ireland, I --

DOUG IRELAND: If I could just add one thing that's terribly important, Amy, Claude Allen has been the AIDS community's -- one of its number one enemies for some years, because he is an opponent of condom use. He is a proponent for years of the theory that condoms do not work to prevent AIDS. And he has worked very hard to replace science-based sex education with the failed policy of abstinence-only sex education as the only way to prevent AIDS. The reason the Allen appointment is so significant is that it signals an across the board new aggressiveness on social issues in Bush's second term, and we can expect a whole series of very pernicious initiatives of this kind with Mr. Allen as the Chief Domestic Policy Adviser. For example, the Washington Post reported just some days ago that in terms of the faith-based initiatives, so called which are really political patronage disguised as faith-based initiatives, the federal government is now spending about $1 million -- excuse me, $1.7 billion for faith-based initiatives. But by executive order, and without any vote by the Congress, Bush has removed church-state separation restrictions from another $50 billion in federal monies. And the White House, with Claude Allen in charge now of domestic policy, has said that it is going to make -- make a major campaign and offensive on the states to get them to use more of this $50 billion they get from the federal government for faith-based initiatives. This really amounts to a religious tax on the American people. And the Allen appointment signals a giant step down the road to the establishment of the American theocracy.

AMY GOODMAN: Doug Ireland, long-time political writer for The Nation magazine, for LA Weekly, for The Village Voice, and other publications. Elaine Cassel also with us, columnist with the website FindLaw. The democrats, going back to Michael Chertoff, are not voicing a lot of opposition or criticism.

ELAINE CASSEL: They're not making any opposition or criticism to anything. Anyone who paid attention to the Gonzales hearings as I did, and is concerned about Alberto Gonzales now had to be mildly disappointed in -- their show of affection for a man, supposedly because he went to Harvard Law School and is Hispanic and ignored his writings and ignored his refusal to answer questions, and I think he’ll be easily confirmed. As everyone well knows, Chertoff has been easily confirmed three times, and I don't expect there to be any questioning at all. After all, I mean it, would be very hard politically except for someone like Russ Feingold to take a stand for civil liberties. That wasn't an issue in the campaign to speak of, not least with Senator John Kerry. So, I can expect that he will be easily confirmed and that people who like the idea of preventive arrest and prosecutions on mere suspicion, all in the name of supposedly keeping us safe -- and when you listed the things that he has control over in terms of the Department of Homeland Security and 180,000 government employees at his behest, I think we all have reason to fear about the future of liberty in this country. I just wanted to say one thing. I know Claude Allen, because I know of his role in Virginia, and also that he has been an undersecretary or deputy secretary of Health and Human Services, I believe, and it is quite correct that he has an extreme far right position on health and on social policies, but like Gonzales, you see, which is I think something that Bush has been very adept at, he is a quiet, soft-spoken, congenial African-American who, if -- if you just saw him there and saw him socially or saw him in a committee hearing, none of that would be revealed to you. And so that personality that belies a mean-spiritedness and a cold-heartedness in dealing with issues related to health and social policy, I think he shares that, say, with Gonzales, who also has -- I mean, the members of the judiciary committee we're talking about, oh, he doesn't -- he doesn't seem like he will be an Ashcroft, I mean, he's so uncontentious. Well, that's quite -- yeah, uncontentious, probably because there's nothing to argue about in their view of things. And unfortunately, these men, Gonzales, Claude Allen, Chertoff they're going to get what they want. The Congress isn't going to stop them, and the courts, even though there have been some court rulings that have attempted to put some brakes on this administration, including rulings from the Supreme Court, this administration ignores or balks, it delays court orders. So, it almost doesn't even matter anymore if we even have a judicial slapdown of this administration.
antifascist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Another Christo-fascist hypocrite Reply with quote

Another Christo-fascist hypocrite. We need God fearing schools to teach our children.
Quote:
Child sex suspect once was in `ex-gay' ministry
Arrest brings group back in the spotlight
By Peter Franceschina
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
March 12 2006

Brother Stoffel.

The former Summit Christian School teacher arrested last weekend after admitting having sex with a teen boy was enrolled in a controversial "ex-gay" ministry whose adherents believe people can change their sexual preference through the power of Christ.

Love in Action International in Memphis, Tenn., is the oldest and best known of the ministries that try to counsel people away from homosexuality through spirituality. With a mission at the heart of one of the nation's culture wars, it has been praised by Christian conservatives and criticized by gay-rights advocates since its 1973 inception in California.

The ministry drew scrutiny last summer when a 16-year-old boy complained on his Web site about his parents forcing him into the center. Now, Love in Action is back in the spotlight after the March 3 arrest of former Summit Christian School teacher Chad Stoffel of Palm Springs.

The "ex-gay" movement is led by Exodus International in Orlando and its some 120 North American affiliates. The ministries promote a hotly disputed concept: that people aren't born homosexual, they're made that way, often by poor parenting or sexual abuse. Since being gay is not innate, proponents say, people can change and have healthy heterosexual relationships.

They are opposed by major health associations and gay-rights advocates, who say so-called "reparative" or "conversion" therapies cause conflict and despair in individuals.

Wade Richards, who became what he called a "poster boy" for the movement after he spent a year and half at Love in Action in the late '90s, finally reconciled himself to the fact that he is gay. He said the program taught him to communicate better with his parents, for which he is grateful, but he thinks it did him more harm than good because he was wracked with guilt and shame.

"It's kind of like an abusive relationship. You have this loving God. It's all based on love, but `if you don't do what I say, you're going to hell,'" he said.

Last summer, a 16-year-old Tennessee boy, Zach, told his conservative parents he was gay, according to his Web postings. They told him he would be going to Love in Action. Zach's posts about the situation to his Web log garnered national media attention and sparked gay-rights protests outside Love in Action.

"It's like boot camp," Zach wrote in his blog. "If I do come out straight, I'll be so mentally unstable and depressed it won't matter."

Stoffel, 29, a popular teacher and coach at Summit Christian School for more than five years, resigned in December, according to school officials.

It's not clear when Stoffel went to Love in Action, but on Feb. 1 a counselor there called a Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office detective and told him Stoffel had confessed to molesting "numerous" boys in South Florida, according to Stoffel's arrest report. Stoffel also had reported himself to Florida's child-abuse hotline.

Stoffel is charged with four counts of sexual activity with a minor and four counts of battery on a child relating to a 16-year-old student from Wellington Christian School.

Sheriff's detectives are investigating Stoffel's admission that he had sex with one of his students, starting when the boy was 14, the arrest report says.

Gerard Wellman, the business administrator and a spokesman for Love in Action, said he couldn't confirm Stoffel was at the facility. He said the ministry reports illegal activity when it becomes known.

"We are bound by Tennessee state law to notify the appropriate authorities, and we abide by that policy without question," he said.

Wellman, like some other employees, is a graduate of the ministry's programs. "We don't think the words `homosexual' or `heterosexual' describe a person, they describe a behavior," he said. "What we strive to do is align their behavior with their beliefs by strengthening their faith in Christ."

He said it doesn't matter whether homosexuality is genetic or learned.

"We are responsible for what we do. We have no control over our temptations and urges. That is something we cannot control, but they can control what they do with that behavior," he said.

In 1973, the American Psychiatric Association declassified homosexuality as a mental illness, and the American Psychological Association says on its Web site, "The reality is that homosexuality is not an illness. It does not require treatment and is not changeable."

Earlier this month, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Policy Institute issued a lengthy report called Youth in the Crosshairs, critical of the ministries for targeting parents and youth.

Exodus International President Alan Chambers issued a statement saying, "Our organization hears from thousands of teens and young adults each year who are desperate for information and resources beyond the one-sided `born-gay' message that saturates our culture... We are deeply concerned about these young men and women because so many of us, as former homosexuals, wish we had been aware of the emotional and physical devastation often found in gay life."

The debate arrives in Fort Lauderdale on May 6. Coral Ridge Ministries, led by the Rev. D. James Kennedy, is hosting Focus on the Family's touring "Love Won Out" conference, billed as "A dynamic one-day conference addressing, understanding and preventing homosexuality." Speakers include leaders from Focus on the Family and Exodus International. Gay-rights advocates are holding a counter-rally, "Love Welcomes All," at First Congregational Church of Fort Lauderdale. One speaker will be Wayne Besen, author of Anything but Straight: Unmasking the Scandals and Lies Behind the Ex-Gay Myth.

Besen is among those who say the programs set people up for failure down the road.

"What should be the most beautiful thing in your life, sexual attraction and love, is turned into one of the most horrible, hated things," he said. "This is something that tears your heart apart and creates tragedies, everything from addictions to suicide."

Peterson Toscano, who puts on a one-man play about his experience in the ministries called Doin' Time in the Homo No Mo Halfway House, also went through Love in Action. "Not knowing how psychology works, they are creating a great lot of turmoil for people," he said.

GiftedIdiot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird......TalkingpointsMemo reckons that the story has changed now, and that Allens TWIN brother was they guy arrested... Shocked

Shouldn't there be slight differences in the fingerprints, even for identical twins? Surely that would confirm the ID?
antifascist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: "Christian pervert of the day thread." Reply with quote

I think I will turn this thread into the "Christian pervert of the day thread."

This is a new twist: wear a Superman custom and molest little boys. The is the Largest Case of Child Prostitution in U.S. History! Remember seeing it on the news? Leyva was so popular in the south that he was set to replace Jimmy Swaggart on TV while Jimmy was dealing with problems of his own.
Quote:
Tent-revival preacher who admitted molestations dies in Virginia prison
The Associated Press - RICHMOND, Va.
http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/ap_newfullstory.asp?ID=56264

Mario "Tony" Leyva, a self-ordained minister who admitted to molesting more than 100 boys in several states, including Georgia, died in prison from skin cancer, officials said Monday.

The 58-year-old Leyva died Thursday in the infirmary of Powhatan Correctional Center, and the state medical examiner's office determined he had metastatic melanoma, a form of skin cancer that attacks the body's organs and usually causes death within months.

Beginning in the 1960s, Leyva crisscrossed the Southeast with his tent revival ministry. Leyva, who called himself "Super Christian," was known to sometimes preach while dressed in a Superman costume.

He was the founder of Tony Leyva Evangelistic Association Inc. in 1987 in Columbus, Ga. From the 50-room church building, he launched many programs, including "Tony Leyva International Revival Hour" for radio and a brief Sunday morning TV program.

Leyva chose his victims by targeting disadvantaged families who were the most likely to believe him when he said he wanted to help their sons through tough times.

In 1988, a Roanoke County jury convicted Leyva of molesting two boys, ages 11 and 14, who testified that Leyva plied them with food and gifts, then drove them in a limousine to a motel room where he performed a sex act on them.

Leyva was sentenced to 2 1/2 years in prison. Soon after, he and two of his associates pleaded guilty in federal court to transporting minors across state lines for prostitution _ charges that stemmed from offering food, money and travel in exchange for sex.

U.S. District Judge James Turk sentenced him to 20 years in prison, calling Leyva "bad to the core." Church organist Rias Edward Morris and minister Freddie Herring received lesser sentences.

Prosecutors estimated the three men had molested hundreds of children in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Ohio and Indiana over a span of 25 years.

"He was something else," said Roanoke County Commonwealth's Attorney Randy Leach, who prosecuted Leyva's state case in 1988. "In our minds, he was a serial child molester and we were glad to do our jobs, but ... he's died and that's enough to be said, I think."

Leyva was released from federal prison on parole in 2002. The following year, he fled the Roanoke area, where he was required to live under supervision until 2008, and wound up in Haiti. He was captured and returned to prison in Virginia.

Sherry Lynn Leyva, a member of Leyva's ministry, married him while he was in prison. There was no answer at the most recent telephone number listed for her.

Leyva's case was written about in a 1996 book entitled "Brother Tony's Boys: The Largest Case of Child Prostitution in U.S. History: The True Story." Author Mike Echols, a California-based child advocate who worked with Leyva's victims to keep him imprisoned as long as possible, died in 2003 while in jail himself for violating probation.

A message left for Leyva's former attorney, Daniel Crandall, was not immediately returned
BA_BureauChief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiftedIdiot wrote:
Weird......TalkingpointsMemo reckons that the story has changed now, and that Allens TWIN brother was they guy arrested... Shocked

Unless the purchases were made with cash, there is a name on the check or credit card... Wink
antifascist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: The Fall of Claude Allen Reply with quote

Quote:
The Fall of Claude Allen
No Requiem for a Black Conservative
By EARL OFARI HUTCHINSON
Counterpunch.org

In a tear jerk moment toward the end of Claude Allen's abortive Senate confirmation hearing in 2003, Utah Senator Orin Hatch tossed a puffball question at him. He asked what his grandfather who was the first in his family born out slavery would say to him about his pending judgeship. Allen visibly moved by the question said that he would tell him to give back to those that he received from.

Allen's answer told much about the GOP's two decade long court and tout of black conservatives. And that hasn't changed even when some of them embarrass the party with their shoot from the lip gaffes or fall from grace in a swirl of corruption and scandal. Allen has fit the bill on both counts. In 1982, he embarrassed the GOP with his slurs against gays and feminists, and two decades later during his confirmation hearing he didn't back away from them. He oddly claimed that the dictionary defined them as "odd or unusual" and he saw no reason to retract his slur. And now there's the allegation that he is a two-bit thief.

But Allen is only the latest in a string of black conservative poster boys that have been dogged by scandal. In the 1980s Reagan's HUD Secretary Samuel Pierce was accused of corruption and influence peddling, and Clarence Pendleton Reagan's appointee to head the U.S. Civil Rights Commission was hit with allegations of illicit business dealings. Then there's the sexual scandal that embroiled Bush Sr.'s affirmative action Supreme Court nominee, Clarence Thomas in 1991.

Last year, black Republican pitchman, Armstrong Williams was reviled for grabbing nearly a quarter of a million dollars from the White House to pump Bush's education policies, all the while masquerading as a neutral media commentator. In each case, the disgraced black Republican administration appointees, and boosters did not tumble as far from grace as might be expected. Pierce and Pendleton served no jail time, and resumed their business careers.

Thomas is the much-prized conservative high court polemicist. Though Williams was bounced from his spot as a commentator on a few media outlets, he is still a frequent guest on talk shows, defending conservative policies. Their names quickly disappear from the scandal sheets. They are simply too valuable to be summarily tossed to the wolves.

Conservatives desperately need blacks such as Allen to maintain the public illusion that black conservatives have real clout and a popular following in black communities. Their great value is that they promote the myth that a big segment of blacks support political conservative principles. In the last presidential election, Bush, Republican National Committee head Ken Mehlman, and strategist Karl Rove spent millions on outreach efforts to attract African-American voters. Mehlman has since barnstormed the country in tow with conservative blacks to primp the GOP's message to black groups. Allen and a handful of other blacks have relentlessly pumped Bush's policies on TV and radio talk shows, in op-ed columns, and in debates with civil rights leaders and liberal Democrats.

The young black conservative political activists such as Allen spin, prime, and defend administration policies on affirmative action, welfare, laizzez faire capitalism, and anti-government regulations with the best of white conservatives. Bush's controversial federal court appeals nominee, black California Supreme Court Justice Janice Rogers Brown, once brashly claimed that she was "one of the few conservatives left in America." Allen did not make the same bold, and brash claim as Brown, but he is every bit the conservative ideologue as Brown. None of their efforts touting GOP policies have helped much. Bush still got only a marginal bump up overall in the black vote in 2004, and with his Katrina bumble his poll ratings are stuck even deeper in the tank with blacks.

Still, Republicans have done everything possible to ease the way up the political ladder for their bevy of black conservatives. Allen's career is a textbook example of that. He was barely out of the University of North Carolina when he became the spokesmen for Senator Jesse Helm's reelection campaign in 1982.

He moved from there to work for Republicans on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. He then bagged a prize clerkship on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit. Next, he was appointed counsel for Virginia's Attorney General, and then he became Virginia's deputy attorney general and later secretary of health and human services. When his nomination for appeals court judge didn't pan out, Bush made him his top domestic policy advisor.

In years past, scandal plagued black Republican boosters and appointees pretty much skated away with little more than a spate of bad publicity and a hand slap. Allen may not be as lucky. He may eventually be prosecuted. But as long as Republicans find men like him useful in their drive to make the party appear to be an authentic voice in black America, they'll do whatever they can to keep them as far out of legal harm's way as possible.

Earl Ofari Hutchinson is a columnist for BlackNews.com, an author and political analyst.
rocklib

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They still have the security camera tape, and fingerprints. He's toast.
GiftedIdiot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BA_BureauChief wrote:
GiftedIdiot wrote:

Unless the purchases were made with cash, there is a name on the check or credit card... Wink

He may have stolen the card from his brother and used it under false pretences, or there is a possibility that Claude Allen may have obtained a credit card in his name for his "zero credit-rated" brother to use.

If it turns out that Floyd Allen was indeed the guy doing the shoplifting, I suspect the former scenario will be claimed, as I'm sure the second would be illegal, even if Claude Allen intended to obtain a credit card for his brother for philanthropic reasons.

I sure hope the Sherriff is keeping those fingerprints safe....
GregC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you Bushwackers piss me off

Since when does making a phony $5000 return at Target make Claude Allen a bad guy or an incompetent domestic policy adviser ?

I bet you never took an extra pack of salt from McDonalds or said Limbaugh when the cashier made a mistake and gave you a $5 bill by mistake. Or filched office supplies at your overpaid job.

I bet you liberal loons do a lot of dishonest stuff, you just haven't gotten caught yet

Yet , you work at your $100K per year jobs and its just another day in yuppie whine world when someone in the Bush administration makes a mistake.

I can hear you liberal loons making excuses for your favorite liberal actor who has a gun accident and shoots somebody in the face
antifascist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Christian Perverts of the day. Reply with quote

Texas Baptist Rev.Thompson beat child 90 mins for talking.

The beating caused the 11 yr. old child to have kidney failure. Don't talk during bible study!

Quote:
Texas boy allegedly beaten in Bible study
http://archives.cnn.com/2002/LAW/07/09/bible.study.beating/
July 13, 2002 Posted: 4:13 PM EDT (2013 GMT)

Caleb Thompson, left, and Joshua Thompson, 23-year-old twin brothers, are shown before opening statements in their trial Dec. 3 in Austin.
AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) -- Austin police arrested a church pastor and his twin brother Tuesday, alleging they used a tree branch to beat unconscious an 11-year-old who misbehaved in Bible class.

Joshua Thompson, 22, a pastor at Capitol City Baptist Church, and his brother Caleb turned themselves in Tuesday and were released on $25,000 bond, KEYE-TV reported. They were charged with injury to a child, a felony punishable by up to life in prison, the station reported.

The alleged beating took place July 3, according to reports. The brothers thought the boy did not take his Bible verses seriously enough during a church-sponsored summer camp for Spanish-speaking students, officials said.

The alleged abuse took place at a private home, said Bobby Taylor, the child's attorney. "They ... cut a branch off a tree, made my client lay on the bed, and beat him," Taylor said.

Court records obtained by Reuters alleged that the beating lasted for 90 minutes, broke blood vessels and caused the boy's kidneys to fail. The brothers allowed the child to take a break in the restroom during the reported beating, documents said.

Joshua Thompson beat the child while Caleb Thompson held him down, Reuters reported, citing court records. They reportedly turned up a radio to drown out the child's cries, the news service reported.

Afterward, the two took the boy back to his home, where Joshua Thompson told the parents the child needed further discipline, the AP reported.

After the Thompsons left, the boy's parents discovered bruises and cuts covering his entire back, as well as bruises on his neck, buttocks and legs, AP reported. They called police and took their son to a hospital, where he remained in fair condition Tuesday, the news service said.

Capitol City Baptist does not support corporal punishment, said Jerald Finney, Joshua Thompson's lawyer.
antifascist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Christian Coalition Beverly Russell raped Susan Smith at 15. Reply with quote

Christian Coalition Beverly Russell raped Susan Smith at 15.
I don't remember this connection getting much coverage from the media. This also means that Susan Smith was raised in an upper middle-class "Christian" family by one of the most famous Conservative fundamentalist leaders in the country. Susan Smith upset over an ended love affair drowned her two children by driving her van into a lake and then claimed a "Blackman" did it.

Quote:
Gingrich & The Susan Smith Case
By Norman Solomon
April 26, 2000.
http://www.alternet.org/columnists/story/8695/

Even after a South Carolina jury declared Susan Smith guilty of murdering her two sons, reporters are not pressing Gingrich about the Smith case. Many seem to have forgotten that nine months ago, he loudly proclaimed the infanticide to be a campaign issue.

Newt Gingrich has gotten away with it. Again.

Even after a South Carolina jury declared Susan Smith guilty of murdering her two sons, reporters are not pressing Gingrich about the Smith case. Many seem to have forgotten that nine months ago, he loudly proclaimed the infanticide to be a campaign issue.

Back in early November, the motor-mouthed Gingrich had much to say about the case -- offering a treatise so wrong-headed that it's almost laughable. Except there's nothing funny about the Susan Smith tragedy...or Gingrich's attempt to exploit it for election-eve advantage.
Here's what Gingrich said three days before last November's election -- in response to an Associated Press reporter who asked him how the campaign was going: "Slightly more moving our way. I think that the mother killing the two children in South Carolina vividly reminds every American how sick the society is getting and how much we need to change things."

Gingrich concluded, "The only way you get change is to vote Republican. That's the message for the last three days." Two days later, less than 24 hours before the polls opened, Gingrich defended his comments on the Smith case as no different than what he'd been saying for years -- that violence and related ills arise from a Democratic-controlled political system: "We need very deep change if we're going to turn this country around."

Asked if the change he was offering the country would stop killings like those in South Carolina, he replied, "Yes. In my judgment, there's no question."

Today, reporters should ask Gingrich an obvious question: Does he still impute blame to the Democrats for Susan Smith's deed?
Journalists might also ask Gingrich about Smith's stepfather, Beverly Russell. Prior to the kids' disappearance, Russell was busily campaigning not for the depraved Democrats, but for Newt Gingrich and his minions. Russell was a Republican leader in South Carolina and local organizer of Pat Robertson's Christian Coalition.

During the nine days that Susan Smith had the country hunting for a nonexistent black carjacker, Russell urged nationwide prayer for the two missing kids: "All we can do is pray. This is a nightmare."

A prominent businessman and stockbroker, Russell married Smith's mom after she divorced Smith's dad (who later committed suicide). From the age of six, Russell raised Susan Smith in an upper-middle-class, church-going home. Gingrich's campaign comments notwithstanding, the home was free of counterculture and welfare-state influences.

But Susan Smith attempted suicide at age 13, and at age 15 told authorities that her stepdad had been sexually molesting her for at least a year. Her mother helped talk her out of pursuing charges against Russell. (At age 18, she attempted suicide again.)

The child-abuse case against the well-connected businessman smells of a cover-up. It's not known exactly how long the molestation went on, because the case file mysteriously vanished. And Susan Smith was not even represented in court by a lawyer or guardian, as required for minors.
The social-service worker who investigated the molestation testified at the murder trial that although Russell admitted the abuse and agreed to seek counseling, she was "concerned" that law enforcement closed the case so quickly.

Whatever counseling Russell underwent had little impact. The murder trial revealed that he was still having sex with his stepdaughter as recently as two months before she killed her kids.

While nothing can begin to excuse the horrendous act of drowning children in a lake, it's clear that Susan Smith suffered far more trauma in her youth than any girl should have to endure.

And most of the trauma was inflicted -- not by McGovernik Democrats or welfare bureaucrats -- but by an abusive stepfather who publicly championed "family values" and "school prayer" as partisan Republican issues.

The truth is that sexual abuse of children in the home is widespread -- and crosses all ideological lines. It's also true that the Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act was dismembered this year by Gingrich-led "pro-family" forces in the House.

Newt Gingrich should be pressed to discuss these realities. After all, he's the one who originally declared the Smith case in play as a political football. Journalists shouldn't let him simply drop the ball at his convenience.

Here's a question that should be posed: Mr. Gingrich, were you wrong to try to politicize this tragedy, especially when you hadn't a clue what the facts were?

And let's not forget Gingrich's McCarthy-like effort in 1992 to link the Democratic platform to Woody Allen, then in the news for his affair with the 21-year-old daughter of his longtime companion, Mia Farrow.

Would it be fair politics, someone should ask Gingrich, for Democrats to denounce Republicans today as the "Beverly Russell party"?

Currently talking up a storm on his book tour, Newt Gingrich is getting the red carpet treatment on America's biggest talkshows. It would be refreshing to see an interviewer confront the Speaker of the House on his past effort to lay Susan Smith's murdered kids at the feet of the Democratic Party.
antifascist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Mountain View Christian Academy: Cattle prods, pliers,vises. Reply with quote

Mountain View Christian Academy: Cattle prods, pliers,vises.
But stun guns are now used as cattle prods by the civilian police so it's not as shocking as before the Conservative Republican Christians gained power. Notice that the first article leaves out that they owned a Christian private school.
Quote:
Couple Charged With Torturing Adopted Children
http://reports.tbo.com/reports/dollar/

A former Hillsborough County couple accused of torturing their children, including locking them in a closet, starving them and pulling their toenails off with pliers, were arrested in Utah and will be extradited to Citrus County. John Dollar, 58, and his wife, Linda, 51, allegedly forced five of their adopted children - 14-year-old twin boys, two girls ages 12 and 13, and the 16-year-old - to sleep in a closet in the master bedroom so their parents could keep an eye on them.

Name: John Dollar, 58 (right)
John Dollar and his wife, Linda are accused of using cattle prods, pliers, vises and starvation to torture five of their seven children. DCF officials said the Dollars had been licensed as foster parents in Hillsborough County from March to October 1995. Documents show the family was no longer in Florida's foster care system when they left the state. A warrant charges the Dollars with one count each of aggravated child abuse involving the children, all of whom were adopted.

Name: Linda Dollar, 51 (left)
Linda Dollar wrote in a 1995 DCF application that she left home at age 16 because of an alcoholic and abusive father. She also wrote that her first marriage ended because of abuse. The Dollars kept a low profile in recent years and lived in relative seclusion, moving in August to Beverly Hills in north Citrus. Their adopted 16-year-old son weighed 59 pounds when hospitalized Jan. 21 in Citrus County, which started an investigation, officials said. Twin boys, 14, subsequently were found to weigh 36 and 38 pounds. Two girls, 13 and 12, also were severely undernourished.

But this first article leaves out the important information that this was a religious private school.
Quote:
Accused child abuse couple ran private school in Knox Co.
February 4, 2005
By CATHARYN CAMPBELL
6 News Reporter
http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=2903844

KNOX COUNTY (WATE) -- 6 News on Friday found people who knew John and Linda Dollar, a couple wanted on child abuse charges in Florida when they lived in Knox County, where they ran a private school. [ hunt for couple ]

One woman tells 6 News the kids who were apparently abused were schooled by Linda.

In East Knox County, a home that was formerly Mountain View Christian Academy was owned and run by the Dollars.

According to Paula Spradlin, in 1998 her son went to Mountain View for a semester. She says the seven children taken from the Dollars' custody also attended.

"They were, you know, adopted and they'd come from different homes and they'd come from abusive homes or neglect and that's why they had adopted them."

Spradlin says Linda Dollar told her she was a certified teacher. She also says the home where classes were held was well equipped for children, with smoke detectors, fire alarms and a security system to help keep students safe.

The house had several rooms and Spradlin says the children involved in the case didn't attend class with other students. "There was like five of them that stayed together in a room. She taught them by herself. they didn't mingle in with the rest of the group."

The Dollars lived with the children in a home in Kodak. They moved to Florida nearly six years ago.

Spradlin says she never noticed any signs of abuse. "Supposedly, it was happening then too but it was in the fall and winter and they always had long clothes on so I couldn't see anything."

Spradlin says the Dollars seemed to be very religious and she never suspected they would hurt a child. "Not the way they talked about God and church and their faith."

Officials say due to privacy regulations, they can't explain why the Dollars have custody of the children.

Representatives from the state Department of Children's Services say the couple was never investigated while they lived in Tennessee.

Local law enforcement agencies say they continue to keep an eye out for the Dollars.
antifascist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Bush applauds Christian leader child rapist Rev. Hintz. Reply with quote

Bush applauds Christian leader child rapist Rev. Hintz.
Holy Moly....
Quote:
Bush Promotes Pastor Fired For Sexually Exploting a Child
December 07, 2004
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/1137247.html

Pastor Mike Hintz

Atrios catches an astonishing bit of Red State moral values irony as Bush talks up Youth Pastor Mike Hintz from Iowa on Sunday, and then on Monday Youth Pastor Mike Hintz from Iowa is fired for "sexual exploitation of a child."

Even more wonderful is this quote from Hintz in the Sunday piece:

Mike Hintz, a First Assembly of God youth pastor, said the tax cuts also gave him additional money to use for health care.
He said he supports Bush's values.

"The American people are starting to see what kind of leader President Bush is. People know where he stands," he said.

"Where we are in this world, with not just the war on terror, but with the war with our culture that's going on, I think we need a man that is going to be in the White House like President Bush, that's going to stand by what he believes."

Mike Hintz is on the front lines of the "war with out culture," so why should we care if this Red State churchgoing white male sexually exploits the children he is supposed to be ministering to in the name of God.

Update: It appears that the exploited child was 17 years old or so, but that doesn't make this any better. The fact is that a married father of four who was tasked with ministering to young teenagers used his position of power to seduce one of the children he was responsible for. This same exploitation of his position of power also resulted in the commission of adultery.

While both acts are most likely legal, neither is moral or acceptable from people in positions of power. Both sins -- the exploitation of his power over the girl and his adultery -- are also against the teachings of the Christian Church that he was representing both as a youth pastor and as a poster child for President Bush's tax cuts.

And as for why the fact that Bush used Hintz for a photo op matters in this is the hypocricy of it. Bush is always promoting his policies as pro-family, pro-Christ, etc. but regularly the people he surrounds himself with are patently un-Christian while being those who profess their faith the loudest.

Taken on its own, this is not a big deal as far as Bush is concerned because Bush probably did not know. However, coupled with his entire record of surrounding himself with hypocrites and un-Christian Christians it is simply another straw on the camel's back.

White House website:
Quote:
President Signs Tax Relief Bill Benefiting Millions of Families
Remarks by the President on the Signing of the Working Families Tax Relief Act of 2004

South Suburban Ymca
Des Moines, Iowa
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/10/20041004-7.html

President's Remarks

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you all. Thanks for coming today. Thank you all. Please be seated. Mr. Chairman -- (laughter) -- you probably think I've come here to sign an important piece of legislation. Actually, I'm here for a different reason. The south lawn of the White House has a lot of grass -- (laughter) -- I'm looking for somebody to mow it. (Laughter and applause.) And so Mr. Chairman, you shall now be known as "Grass-mower." (Laughter.) And, by the way, when you're through using that car -- (laughter) -- I've always liked an old Olds. (Laughter.) I appreciate you being here, Mr. Chairman; proud to call you friend. (Applause.)

Thanks for being here, as well. It's a beautiful day here in Iowa. Iowa is such a beautiful place. Today, with my signature, federal law will extend vital tax relief for millions of American families and add momentum to our growing economy. Today, here in Des Moines, Iowa, the Working Families Tax Relief Act of 2004 becomes the law of the land, and I appreciate you being here to watch it. (Applause.)

And I really do appreciate working with Mr. Chairman. He's had a remarkable tenure as Chairman of the Finance Committee in the Senate. We have accomplished a lot together. I appreciate other members of the congressional delegation who are with us today: the Chairman of the Budget Committee in the House of Representatives, Jim Nussle; thank you for coming, Jim. (Applause.) Jim Leach, Congressman Jim Leach is with us. (Applause.) I appreciate my friend, Jim Leach being here, as well as Congressman Tom Latham. I'm honored they are here. (Applause.)

Not here is head of the Ways and Means Committee in the House of Representatives, Chairman Bill Thomas, of California. I appreciate his hard work on this bill and I appreciate him working with Chuck Grassley to get the bill done. I also want to thank Minority Leader in the House of Representatives on the -- in the Ways and Means Committee, Charlie Rangel, Democrat from New York, for working on this bill; as well as Senator Max Baucus, Democrat from Montana, for working with Chuck Grassley on the bill, as well. I want to thank all the members of Congress who worked hard to get this bill done.

I appreciate members of the ex-governors club who've joined us today. I happen to be a member of that club, as well. (Applause.) I'm a fellow member. (Laughter.) Terry Branstad and Bob Ray have served your state so very well, and I appreciate their friendship. (Applause.) And I'm glad Billie Ray is with Bob. I'll tell Mother and Dad "hello" for both of you. Appreciate you coming.

I want to thank all the state and local officials who are here. I particularly want to thank the president and CEO of the YMCA, Vernon Delpesce, as well as Dave Hoak, who's the chairman of the Y, for letting us use this facility for this bill signing ceremony. I want to thank the Patterson family who is with us here. They're beneficiaries of the tax relief. I spent some time with them backstage. I'll be speaking about another family here in a minute.

The law I sign this morning comes at just the right time for America. Some of tax relief provisions we passed over the last three years were set to expire at the end of 2004. Unless we acted, a family of four earning $40,000 would have seen their federal income taxes rise by more than $900. That would have been a burden for hardworking families across America. And it would have been a setback for our economy.

Today we're acting to keep vital tax relief in place. The bipartisan bill I sign today extends the $1,000 child tax credit, the marriage penalty relief and the expanded 10 percent tax bracket. It also protects millions of families from having to pay the alternative minimum tax in 2005. That tax was designed over three decades ago to make sure wealthy Americans pay their fair share of taxes. But now it affects middle income families. This bill will also increase the child credit refunds for almost 7 million low-income families in the 2004 tax year.

Overall, 94 million Americans will have a lower tax bill next year, including 70 million women and 38 million families with children. The money they keep will make it easier to save for their retirement, or their children's education, invest in a home or a small business, or pay off credit card debts. One of those families is the Hintz family, from Clive, Iowa. Thank you all for coming. (Applause.)

It's a special day for Mike and Sharla, not because they're with the President or with Chairman Grassley, but because it's their 13th wedding anniversary. (Applause.) Theirs is a typical story. See, last year they received a child tax credit check for $1,600 for their four children. And under all the tax relief we've passed, they saved about $2,800 last year. With this extra money they bought a wood-burning stove to reduce their home heating costs. They made a decision for their family.

They also made home repairs and improvements. They took the family on a vacation to Minnesota. Next year when you get your check, you may want to come to Texas. (Laughter.) Without the tax bill I'm signing today, the Hintzes would have paid $1,200 more in federal taxes next year. Think about that. Here's a family of four, working hard to raise their kids, the money would have been going out of their pocket. I believe they can spend that $1,200 better than the federal government can. (Applause.)

This legislation will have good effects throughout the economy. The tax relief we passed in 2001 has helped our economy overcome a lot of challenges -- a stock market decline, a recession, terrorist attacks, and war. By extending key portions of that tax relief, we will leave close to $50 billion next year in the hands of the people who earned it. And that money will help keep the economy moving forward, and result in even more new jobs for American workers.

This act of Congress is essential, but it's only a start. Over the next few years, if we fail to take further action, the tax relief will expire and federal income taxes will go up for every American who pays them. For the sake of our families and small businesses, and farmers, investors, and seniors, we need to make all the tax relief permanent.

We need to make sure the death tax doesn't come back to life. (Applause.) We need to keep the tax relief we enacted for investors and small businesses. We need to reform the tax code to make it simpler, easier to understand, and pro-growth. To keep the economy growing, we need to reduce the burden of regulation on small businesses. To keep our economy growing, we need to end the junk lawsuits that keep entrepreneurs from creating new jobs. To keep the economy growing, we need an energy plan to make sure America is less dependent on foreign sources of energy, by using alternative uses of energy like ethanol and biodiesel. (Applause.) We need to open up foreign markets for our products and to continue to ensure that other countries play by the rules. We need spending discipline in our nation's capital. (Applause.)

I look forward to working with the Congress to achieve all these goals. When we keep taxes low and trust our American families with their own money, they spend it far more wisely than we can. And when they do, they make the American economy stronger.

I appreciate the members of Congress who are here today. I wish they'd come up and join me as, in the great city of Des Moines, Iowa, I sign into law the Working Families Tax Relief Act of 2004. (Applause.)

(The bill is signed.) (Applause.)

Anti-porn group Omaha for Decency ran a full page ad in the Omaha World Herald.
Quote:
On July 9, 2000, the anti-porn group Omaha for Decency ran a full page ad in the Omaha World Herald. The ad stated that those who sell porn should be criminally prosecuted in order to uphold religious moral values of decency and protect marriages. Local pastors signed the ad, including Michael Hintz, then a pastor at Trinity Church Interdenominational. (A copy of this ad is displayed here, names are in alphabetical order by last name.)
Since then, Pastor Hintz moved to Iowa and became a pastor at the First Assembly of God Church in Des Moines. In October 2004, the 35 year old pastor, who is married, was fired by the church when he admitted that he had been having an affair with an underage girl from the church whom he had been counseling for emotional problems. (Des Moines Register 12/8/2004 and WOWT Channel 6 12/8/2004, online. See also Omaha World Herald 3/9/2005.)
Hintz is another Omaha censor who doesn't practice what he preaches. Porn doesn't harm marriages like these censors claim, but pastors who cheat on their spouses with underage church members whom they're supposed to be counseling for emotional problems do. Had Hintz been a psychologist or mental health therapist licensed by the state (instead of a religious counselor), his license to practice could have been taken away for unethical conduct, sex with a patient. (Of course it is even more unethical since the person he was counseling had not yet turned 18.) The Des Moines Register also reported that Pastor Hintz had "urged teens to avoid pursuing romantic relationships in favor of getting closer to God." Do you want a hypocrite like this dictating what you can and cannot view or read?
http://www.omaha-neb.com/hintz.htm
antifascist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Rev. Woroniecki's follower, Andrea Yates drowns children Reply with quote

Rev. Woroniecki's follower, Andrea Yates, drowns her five children.

Again the national press downplayed the role cult religion played in Andrea Yates' illness even though her five children were named after biblical characters and the family was extremely religious. This is a common pattern--the murdered children have biblical names as in the Deanna Laney infanticides. Andrea Yates had high expectations for her children, and when the children didn't live up to their biblical names, well, the reason she gave for the killings was "the children were 'not developing correctly.'" This and many other incidents are "framed" as domestic crime and any deeper analysis is avoided because of the implications. However, the Michael Jackson trial gets full coverage 24/7. The bias is clear. The bias is even present on this discussion board. Both the husband and wife were heavily influenced by a Christian "traveling minister." The children were homed schooled as many religious cultists do because of the Christian Colalition's opposition to public schools.
Quote:
Profile of Andrea Yates
http://crime.about.com/od/current/p/andreayates.htm

Education and Achievements: Andrea (Kennedy) Yates was born on July 2, 1964 in Houston, Tex. She graduated from Milby High School in Houston in 1982. She was the class valedictorian, captain of the swim team and an officer in the National Honor Society. She completed a two-year pre-nursing program at the University of Houston and then graduated in 1986 from the University of Texas School of Nursing in Houston. She worked as a registered nurse at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center from 1986 until 1994.

Andrea Meets Rusty Yates: Andrea and Rusty Yates, both 25, met at their apartment complex in Houston. Andrea, who was usually reserved, initiated the conversation. Andrea had never dated anyone until she turned 23 and prior to meeting Rusty she was healing from a broken relationship. They eventually moved in together and spent much of their time involved in religious study and prayer. They were married on April 17, 1993. They shared with their guests that they planned on having as many children as nature provided.

Andrea Called Herself "Fertile Myrtle": In their eight years of marriage, the Yates had five children; four boys and one girl. Andrea stopped jogging and swimming when she became pregnant with her second child. Friends say that she became reclusive. The decision to home-school the children seemed to feed her isolation.

The Yates Children:
Feb. 26, 1994 – Noah Yates, Dec. 12, 1995 - John Yates, Sept. 13, 1997 - Paul Yates, Feb. 15, 1999 - Luke Yates, and on Nov. 30, 2000 - Mary Yates was the last child to be born.Sponsored Links

Their Living Conditions: Rusty accepted work in Florida in 1996 and the family moved into a 38-foot travel trailer in Seminole, FL While in Florida, Andrea got pregnant, but miscarried. In 1997 they returned to Houston and lived in their trailer because Rusty wanted to "live light." The next year. Rusty decided to purchase a 350-square-foot, renovated bus which became their permanent home. Luke was born bringing the number of children to four. Living conditions were cramped and Andrea's insanity began to surface.

Michael Woroniecki: Michael Woroniecki was a traveling minister from whom Rusty purchased their bus and whose religious views had influenced both Rusty and Andrea. Rusty only agreed with some of Woroniecki's ideas but Andrea embraced the extremist sermons. He preached, "the role of women is derived from the sin of Eve and that bad mothers who are going to hell create bad children who will go to hell." Andrea was so totally captivated by Woroniecki that Rusty and Andrea's family grew concerned.

Andrea’s First Suicide Attempt : On June 16 1999, Andrea called Rusty and begged him to come home. He found her shaking involuntarily and chewing on her fingers. The next day, she was hospitalized after she tried to commit suicide by taking an overdose of pills. She was transferred to the Methodist Hospital psychiatric unit and diagnosed with a major depressive disorder. The medical staff described Andrea as evasive in discussing her problems. However, on June 24 she was prescribed an antidepressant and released.

Spiraling Downward: Once home, Andrea did not take the medication and as a result she began to self mutilate and refused to feed her children because she felt they were eating too much. She thought there were video cameras in the ceilings and said that the characters on television were talking to her and the children. She told Rusty about the hallucinations, yet neither of them informed Andrea's psychiatrist, Dr. Starbranch. On July 20, Andrea put a knife to her neck and begged her husband to let her die.

Warned About the Risks of Having More Babies : Andrea was again hospitalized and stayed in a catatonic state for 10 days. After being treated with an injection of different drugs that included Haldol, an anti-psychotic drug, her condition immediately improved. Rusty was optimistic about the drug therapy because Andrea appeared more like the person he first met. Dr. Starbranch warned the Yates that having another baby might bring on more episodes of psychotic behavior. Andrea was placed on out-patient care and prescribed Haldol.

New Hopes for the Future : Andrea's family urged Rusty to buy a home instead of returning Andrea to the cramped space of the bus. He purchased a nice home in a peaceful neighborhood. Once in her new home, Andrea's condition improved to the point that she returned to past activities like swimming, cooking and some socializing. She was also interacting well with her children. She expressed to Rusty that she had strong hopes for the future but still viewed her life on the bus as her failure.

The Tragic End: In March of 2000, Andrea, on Rusty's urging, became pregnant and stopped taking the Haldol. On November 30, 2000, Mary was born. Andrea was coping but on March 12, her father died and immediately her mental state digressed. She stopped talking, refused liquids, mutilated herself, and would not feed Mary. She also frantically read the Bible.By the end of March Andrea returned to a different hospital. Her psychiatrist, Dr. Mohammed Saeed, treated her briefly with Haldol but discontinued it, saying that she did not did not seem psychotic. Andrea was released only to return again in May. She was released in 10 days and in her last follow-up visit with Saeed, she was told to think positive thoughts and to see a psychologist.

Two days later, Rusty left for work and before his mother arrived to help, Andrea began to put into action the thoughts that had consumed her for two years.

Andrea filled the tub with water and beginning with Paul, she systematically drowned the three youngest boys, then placed them on her bed and covered them. Mary was left floating in the tub. The last child alive was the first born, seven-year-old Noah. He asked his mother what was wrong with Mary, then turned and ran away. Andrea caught up with him and as he screamed, she dragged him and forced him into the tub next to Mary's floating body. He fought desperately, coming up for air twice, but Andrea held him down until he was dead. Leaving Noah in the tub, she brought Mary to the bed and laid her in the arms of her brothers.

During Andrea's confession she explained her actions by saying that she wasn't a good mother and that the children were "not developing correctly" and she needed to be punished.

Her controversial trial lasted three weeks. The jury found Andrea guilty of capital murder, but rather then recommending the death penalty, they vorted for life in prison. At the age of 77, in the year 2041, Andrea will be eligible for parole.
antifascist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Schlosser severs baby's arms & Rev. Davidson's role Reply with quote

Schlosser severs baby's arms & Rev. Davidson's role.

There are a number of cases of very religious Texas mothers killing their children and giving religious reasons for the murders. Now these cases are reported in the news as persons with mental illness, but often there are many warning signs that are labeled as 'devil possession' because these rightwing cults don't believe in these kind of mental disorders. The press does this to downplay the role religion plays in these murders. The press does the same with murders and terrorist attacks by religious anti-abortionists like Media blackout of Christian terrorist Clayton Waagner.

W. David Hager chairman of the FDA's Reproductive Health Drugs Advisory Committee (also know as a sodomist) does not prescribe contraceptives for single women, does not do abortions, will not prescribe RU-486 and will not insert IUDs. Hager believes that headaches, PMS and eating disorders can be cured by reading Scripture.
http://www.acloserlook.com/9607acl/christianliving_faith/stressandthewomansbody.html

The Texas mothers Yates and Laney also were in very religious families and the infanticides have a strong religious theme.

Quote:
Parents of mother who killed baby criticize pastor's influence
Associated Press, USA
Dec. 4, 2004
Lisa Falkenberg
http://www.religionnewsblog.com/9613

Long before Dena Schlosser took a blade to her baby's arms and years before she ever showed signs of mental illness, her parents had begun to worry.

They never suspected violence, but in the years after she moved to Texas with her husband and children, their gentle, somewhat dependent daughter had become increasingly isolated from them. And, according to her stepfather, she was dangerously consumed by a self-described prophet and his suburban Dallas church.

Dena's stepfather Mick Macaulay told The Associated Press that although he blames mental illness for Schlosser's actions, he and his wife believe the teachings of Doyle Davidson were part of a confluence of factors that drove their daughter to kill.

"I don't think there's any question that what we saw happen here is postpartum psychosis," said Macaulay, who also spoke on behalf of his wife of 15 years, Connie, who is terminally ill with Parkinson's Disease. "But that doesn't mean there aren't dynamics in force to push the person toward the psychotic break."

Schlosser was charged with capital murder after she told a 911 operator on Nov. 22 that she severed the arms of 10-month-old Margaret. Police found the 35-year-old mother covered in blood in her living room, still holding a knife.

Texas' Child Protective Services had investigated Schlosser for neglect in January after she left the newborn alone and her 5-year-old daughter was seen chasing her mother down the street on a bicycle. CPS closed the investigation in August after Schlosser received psychiatric treatment for postpartum depression and the agency determined she was stable.

CPS took temporary custody of Schlosser's two older girls, ages 6 and 9, after the baby was killed, pending an investigation.

Macaulay said Schlosser had been emotionally dependent on her mother since childhood, when she had several surgeries to remove an abnormal amount of fluid from her brain. He said after the surgeries, it was somewhat difficult for Schlosser to multi-task, but otherwise her brain functions seemed normal. She went on to college in Illinois, married her husband John and became a mother.

John's job with a computer company brought the family to Texas about five years ago, but he soon lost his job and began working for himself as a consultant. Tight finances meant the family had to trade their spacious house for a small apartment, Macaulay said.

The Schlossers had no health insurance when Margaret was born, Macaulay said, and a midwife delivered the baby at the family's home. The stresses of money, a new baby and a dependence on a mother who was dying were only intensified by Schlosser's association with Davidson's church, Macaulay said.

He said Davidson used violent imagery and told women they possessed a rebellious "Jezebel" spirit, and that they should submit to their husbands, Macaulay said.

"I'm not saying that anybody suggested 'go cut your baby's arms off,'" said Macaulay, a mental health counselor who lives with Schlosser's mother in Canada. "This diminishing of women, this diminishing of women's powers, women's importance, referring to women as jezebels, I think, further undermines an already fragile ego state that Dena's experiencing. I think it presses her to subordinate herself and forego her own judgment.

"I look at Doyle as being one of the major influences in this whole thing," Macaulay said.

That's absurd, the 72-year-old minister said.

"I'm an apostle and I'm a prophet," Davidson said. "I only teach what's in the Bible and that's what makes them mad."

The former veterinarian said God told him to start Water of Life Ministries in the early 1980s. His sermons, based on literal interpretations of the Bible, are broadcast on his Web site and TV and radio in several states, including California, Indiana, Missouri and Oklahoma, he said.

Davidson said he does not use violent imagery, but he does teach that women are weaker and should submit to their husbands.

He said that since the Schlossers began attending his roughly 200-member church in 2002, he's had little interaction with Dena and that when she asked questions, he only answered with scripture.

But Macaulay said Schlosser, who spoke to her mother almost daily by phone, talked incessantly about Davidson, urging her mother and stepfather to listen to sermons on Davidson's Web site. He estimates they listened to about 60 hours of sermons, which only fed their concern.

Macaulay said Schlosser started using prayer instead of antibiotics when her children were sick and was convinced Davidson could cure her mother of Parkinson's. About two years ago when Schlosser's mother visited her in Texas, Macaulay said, Schlosser had Davidson "lay hands on" her mother to drive out the evil spirits and disease.

"Dena was so confident that Connie was cured that they threw out her medicine," Macaulay said. Schlosser's husband, John, supported the minister as well. His personal Web site contains several Bible passages and a link to Davidson's Web site. He has declined media interviews.

Davidson doesn't deny his teachings are unconventional, by mainstream religion standards. He said he isn't well liked by much of the religious community, and he was removed from the Daystar Television Network, a major Christian broadcaster, after his sermons offended top officials.

He refers to Methodist, Catholic and Baptist denominations as cults and believes the Ten Commandments only apply to the disobedient, not the righteous.

In September, Davidson was arrested for public intoxication after a couple, longtime members of his church, called 911, alleging the minister attacked them at their home. Davidson said he was only trying to cast the devil out of the wife, who had become rebellious and rejected his teachings. He said he entered the home with the permission of her husband.

The couple told police Davidson smothered and choked her until she couldn't breathe. They later declined to press assault charges and several calls by the AP to their home went unanswered.

Davidson said he believes the incident was a "setup of Satan himself to try and destroy my ministry."

The minister's loyalists say his teachings are truly inspired by God, supported by scripture and have changed their lives.

"My family has said the same thing that Dena's family said," said Debbie Edge, 52, who joined Davidson's ministry when she married his nephew more than 30 years ago.

Edge said she was a rebellious young woman who partied, wore short skirts and clashed so sharply with her husband that she was ready to divorce him within months. But she said Davidson cast out the evil spirit one day while eating a bowl of ice cream.

"He told the rebellion to come out. I began weeping," she said. "Within a couple of minutes, it was gone. My heart had changed."

Ole Anthony, heads the Trinity Foundation, a watchdog for religious fraud, said he hasn't received any major complaints about Davidson, who he described as a gruff person who speaks with a gravely voice.

"For someone who was in (Schlosser's) condition, there's no telling what went on in her mind, but it's nothing that he did or said, I'm sure," Anthony said.

But Macaulay said that as he and his wife grieve and struggle to understand their daughter's unthinkable crime, the church and its minister are ever-present on their minds.

Connie "looked at me somewhat plaintively after she had a good cry the other day and said, 'I hope Dena won't go back to that church.'".

More about Andrea Yates religious background.
Quote:
Michael Woroniecki: Michael Woroniecki was a traveling minister from whom Rusty [Yates] purchased their bus and whose religious views had influenced both Rusty and Andrea [Yates]. Rusty only agreed with some of Woroniecki's ideas but Andrea embraced the extremist sermons. He preached, "the role of women is derived from the sin of Eve and that bad mothers who are going to hell create bad children who will go to hell." Andrea was so totally captivated by Woroniecki that Rusty and Andrea's family grew concerned.
http://crime.about.com/od/current/p/andreayates.htm

Quote:
"I know this is painful for the ladies to hear, but if you get married, you have accepted the headship of a man, your husband. Christ is the head of the household and the husband is the head of the wife, and that's the way it is, period."--Pat Robertson, "The 700 Club," 1/8/92

Last edited by antifascist on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:24 pm; edited 4 times in total
antifascist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Fundamentalist Laney stones her three children for God. Reply with quote

Fundamentalist Laney stones her three children for God.

With the Deanna Laney infanticides the same pattern is present. Her children were named after biblical characters, children home-schooled, she attended a fundamentalist Pentecostal congregation (in the East Texas town of Tyler), and immersed in church activities with family. I was unable to find a strong minister authority figure (I since found that Laney sang in the choir at the First Assembly of God Church, where her brother-in-law, Gary Bell, is the pastor, according to The Associated Press).

What is different is the prosecutor believed that Laney was in fact sane because what she said was "similar to what you hear from other fundamentalist Christians who are free of psychotic symptoms."

Quote:
Dr. Phillip Resnick, who testified in Laney's trial, said he was struck by comments Laney's pastor made when asked about symptoms of mental illness.

"He indicated that, had some of these things come to his attention, he would have referred her to a religious person, rather than to a psychiatrist, to correct her religious perceptions," Resnick said.

Quote:

Murder by God's Command
http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/women/women_killers2/9.html?sect=11

Deanna Laney
No one thought there was something wrong with thirty-nine-year-old Deanna Laney on Mother's Day weekend in 2003. That's why they could not have predicted what she was about to do.

A housewife in New Chapel Hill, Texas who saw herself as a religious sister to Andrea Yates, the housewife who drowned her five children in 2001, Laney began to see "signs." Her fourteen-month-old son, Aaron, was playing with a spear. That was the first signal from God that she was to do something to her children.

She resisted, not certain that she understood. But the signs continued.

The case was broadcast on Court TV, and covered by newspapers, television talk shows nationwide and by Internet Web sites.

When Aaron presented Laney with a rock that day, she later reported that she believed she was supposed to pay attention. This was a symbol. Later that same day, he squeezed a frog. Then she understood. She was to kill her children, either by stoning them, strangling them or stabbing them. God had shown her three ways.

Again she told God no, but again she felt pressured to comply. "Each time it was getting worse and worse," she later said, "the way it had to be done." In other words, the more she resisted, the worse the death would be for her children. She decided that rocks would be preferable to strangulation, so she found some in preparation.

Laney knew she had to "step out in faith." She had to trust God, and she believed that God would use her brutal deed to do something great. He had done such things in the Bible. Then when Laney woke up before midnight on May 9, she knew that the time was at hand. She had already hidden a rock in Aaron's room, so she went there first.

Lifting the rock, she hit Aaron hard on the skull. He began to cry, alerting her husband, Keith. He asked what was wrong and Laney kept her back to him to prevent him from seeing what she was doing. She assured Keith that everything was okay. But it wasn't okay. Aaron was still breathing, so she put a pillow over his face until she heard him gurgle. She silently told God that He would have to finish the job.

Next Laney went after her other two sons. She took Luke, 6, outside first in his underwear and smashed his skull by hitting him repeatedly with a large rock. Then she dragged him by the feet into the shadows so that Joshua, 8, would not see him. She left the stone, the size of a dinner plate, lying on top of him.

Joshua was next and Laney repeated to him what she had done with Luke, placing them together in a dark area of the yard.

Afterward, she called 911 to report, "I killed my boys."

When the police came, they found Aaron still alive. He was taken away and it eventually became clear that both his vision and motor skills were severely impaired.

Outside, the police saw Laney standing still in blood-stained clothes. She indicated where she had left the boys and they found the bodies lying beneath large rocks. Both boys had serious head wounds. Laney was arrested, leaving her bewildered, horrified husband to wonder what had happened.

Andrea Yates
Laney's case had many parallels with that of Andrea Yates. Both women lived in Texas and home-schooled their children. Both were deeply religious. Both felt they had no choice but to do what they did to their children. Both called 911. And both had some of the same psychiatrists assessing their states of mind for their trials. Five experts came into the case for Laney, including Dr. Philip Resnick, who had served on Andrea Yates' defense team, and Dr. Park Dietz, who was hired by the prosecutor.

But Laney's 2004 trial unfolded quite differently.

Dr. Park Dietz
While the defense psychiatrists had no trouble testifying that Laney had been delusional and psychotic at the time of the crime and could not appreciate that what she was doing was wrong, the surprise came with the prosecution's expert, Dr. Park Dietz. He had been instrumental in convincing a jury that despite her terrible history of mental illness Andrea Yates had known that what she was doing was wrong and thus she was sane when she murdered her children. In the Laney case, he surprised everyone by saying the opposite.

From his assessment, he decided that Laney did not know that what she was doing was wrong. She believed she was following God's orders. She admitted that she might have been aware that what she had done was illegal, but she was not thinking about that. She imagined that she and Andrea Yates, who also had started with the youngest, would together be the two witnesses when the world came to an end.

"She struggled over whether to obey God or to selfishly keep her children," Dietz testified. His impression was that she had felt she had no choice.

Another psychiatrist for the prosecution, Dr. Edward Gripon, agreed that the presence of mental illness was obvious. Several of the experts thought that Laney had suffered from an undiagnosed psychosis over the past three years.

One more expert witness was Dr. William Reed, a court-appointed psychiatrist who used the word "crazy" to refer to Laney, and he agreed with the others.

Among the evidence they used was Laney's post-crime demeanor. Six days after the attacks, she was calm as she described for psychiatrists what she had done. There were no tears. She was awaiting her children's resurrections. With a smile, she said that because she had obeyed God, "I feel like he will reveal his power and they will be raised up. They will become alive again." Dr. Resnick said that since she did not believe she had carried out God's orders perfectly—she wasn't certain about Aaron--she lapped up water from the floor and from a toilet bowl.

The Laney children
After getting antipsychotic medication, she eventually saw her acts in a different light and showed remorse. She realized with horror that she had suffered from a hallucination that had triggered her acts.

Laney's sister, Pam Sepmoree, testified that Laney had been acting strangely in the days leading up to the murders. She was losing weight, eating less, and reading her Bible more. Sepmoree said that the boys were her sister's life.

Despite this unprecedented agreement among all the psychiatrists, prosecutors nevertheless presented a case against Laney that certain behaviors indicated sanity. She had said that she believed that her husband would think her acts were wrong, so she tried to keep Aaron's cries from alerting him. She had called 911 to turn herself in. And she had told a jailer that she might need an attorney. In addition, Laney had no documented history of mental illness, only self-reported episodes: delusions about her baby's feces and a hallucination of smelling sulpher, which she associated with the devil.

Jurors got the case on the afternoon of April 3, and it took them seven hours that same day to acquit Laney of all charges by reason of insanity. She was transferred to a maximum security hospital where medical evaluations will determine when she can eventually be released.

Quote:

Forensic Experts Probe Mind Of Mother Who Killed Kids
Eve Bender
http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/39/24/16

Laney, who was a member of a Pentacostal church, had certain religious beliefs that might not easily be distinguished from some of her psychotic symptoms, Dietz noted. He explained that she was "completely immersed" in the local Pentacostal community, as was her immediate family.

Laney "repeatedly heard God speak to her," Dietz said. "She described this as an internal voice, but her description was similar to what you hear from other fundamentalist Christians who are free of psychotic symptoms."

In addition to believing that God had spoken to her, other "subcultural beliefs" related to her religion "could not be distinguished between her subculture on one hand and mental illness on the other," Dietz commented. These included beliefs that God knew her thoughts and that she was receiving personal guidance from God that she called "urgings or promptings," he said.

"All of those beliefs are consistent with the teachings of her faith and are also consistent with psychosis," he continued.

Dietz said he initially wondered why Laney kept God's "instructions" to kill her children a secret, especially from her husband. She documented in a church workbook before the murders that "her role in keeping the impending murders a secret was similar to Mary's role in keeping her pregnancy a secret."

In 2002 Dietz was also retained by the prosecution in the case of Andrea Yates, a Texas mother who drowned her five children in June 2001.

Dietz testified that Yates suffered from a severe mental illness at the time of the offense but knew her actions were wrong.

He noted that Laney had incorporated Yates into her delusions—she believed that she and Yates would be the final two witnesses to the apocalyptic events described in the Book of Revelations.
antifascist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Bush's Italian Ambassador Melvin Sembler (De Sade) Reply with quote

Remember that the forged Nigerian "Yellow Cake" documents came from Italy's intelligence agency SISMI (Servizio per le Informazioni e la Sicurezza Militare/Military Intelligence and Security Service) Nicolo Pollari, the head of Italy's military intelligence agency, and Italian Defense Minister Antonio Martino, a neocon favorite. Our favorite pornographer, Michael Ledeen, a top Bush NeoCon advisor, has formal connections with Italian fascists inside Italy's SISMI intellegnece community. See Niger Uranium Forgery by Justin Raimondo.

This all re-enforces the evidence that Bush's administration is fascist to the core and torture is just one element of this profile.

Quote:

His Own Private Abu Ghraib
By John Gorenfeld
March 23, 2005
Source: http://www.nospank.net/sembler.htm

He created a system to reprogram bad kids. Delete the bad code in their personalities. Break the will of sullen stoner boys, make bad girls confess to whorish secrets and reverse-engineer the minds of heavy metal kids. And rebuild all of them into an anti-drug army. Such were the works of Melvin Sembler and the feats that STRAIGHT, the ultimate in teen drug rehab programs, attempted during the Totally Awesome Eighties.

Melvin Sembler's clinics might have seemed like a good idea at the time, when teen drug use was high and New Age thinking seemed to offer new and hopeful therapies for pressing the RESET button on human beings.

There were major problems, though. He modeled STRAIGHT after another program, creepily named "The Seed," shut down after the U.S. Congress literally issued a report in 1974 comparing it to "the highly refined 'brainwashing' techniques employed by the North Koreans." Sembler's imitation wasn't shut down until 1993 for illegal child abuse: beatings and sexual humiliation. Kids were thrown against walls. Or forced to sit in their own menstrual blood. Unless, of course, they were ready to cooperate, confess, and chant "I'm at STRAIGHT, feeling great" with the others. In that case they got to be the enforcers. Dozens of lawsuits exposed a similar picture in 12 clinics across America.

Fast forward to 2005. Sembler, 75, is the United States Ambassador to Italy. The enforcers have turned into Sembler's enemies and one man is out for payback.

On a balmy recent Florida day I drove around St. Petersburg with former STRAIGHT teen Richard Bradbury, 39. The bleach-haired vigilante was dressed in shiny white baller gear and earrings, and calm for now under the spell of Xanax. He's been living on a disability check and even had to sell his beloved boat. He landed himself in a whole heap of lawsuit in 2003 by trying to humiliate the ambassador.

Bradbury knows his actions are not to be taken lightly. He is meddling with a man so powerful that Gov. Jeb Bush once named a "Betty Sembler Day" in Florida to honor his wife's ongoing, taxpayer-funded campaigns on behalf of workplace urine tests. And he has raised so much money for Republicans that men named George Bush make him an ambassador every time they become president. The Florida drug crusader and businessman was also the boss of the Bush campaign war chest in 2000, and now - improbably - the U.S. representative to Italy, where he has been in the news this month over the Iraq mess.

"He's way at the top of the world," Bradbury said as he cruised to dance music he described as "bumpin'," over the Tampa Bay causeway and then past the shopping centers built by Sembler Co, the local firm that made Sembler rich. "I'm at the bottom of it. He's got a long way to fall, but where else am I gonna go?"

Bradbury began harassing Sembler after leaving the program in the mid-1980s and deciding that what happened to him was illegal. He helped bring down STRAIGHT in Florida by playing whistleblower, turning over documents that triggered an investigation and exposed a politically-motivated cover-up. As a result, the warehouse-like building near Burger King in St. Pete is no longer a teen hell, but a cable company. For years parents would trick their kids into entering that place. A typical ploy: "Yeah, we're still goin' to Disney World, let's just duck into this unmarked building for a second. . ."

Says Bradbury of what happened inside: "You don't understand what they did to these kids. . . . They put stuff up my butt."

That part is over now. And yet Bradbury fights on. But when will Bradbury or other Sembler-bashers - like Wes Fager, a programmer who says his son suffered a mental collapse after attending a Virginia STRAIGHT - drop their grudges over lifelong psychological problems and so forth?

No time soon, perhaps. For the past two years, Bradbury has dug through Sembler's trash outside his St. Petersburg home. Set off by the story of an ongoing Death Row case involving a STRAIGHT teen who murdered a gay man after being spat on as a "faggot" in the program, Bradbury lashed out. He used eBay to post something he'd found on Sembler's sidewalk: a penis pump.

When a lawyer demanded he give it back, he demanded $700,000 instead. Bradbury, accused of stalking and intentional infliction of emotional damage, is still in court. He's hoping the ambassador will be forced to testify about STRAIGHT and be held accountable, though how likely that is remains unclear.

Why the ambassador has such determined enemies may have something to do with his high-rolling lifestyle in the face of past trauma. The Semblers live in a palace-like walled estate in Rome, featuring the city's largest private garden. They jokingly call it "The Magic Kingdom" - like Disney World, the real one as opposed to the unmarked building near Burger King. The wealth that brought him here stems from his accomplishments as shopping center developer in St. Petersburg. He was also Bush I's Ambassador to Australia. And he is founder of St. Pete's Holocaust museum.

Then there is his public cheerfulness about STRAIGHT. His Web site brags of saving 12,000 kids from drugs. George H.W. Bush awarded it one of the "thousand points of light" awards.

His influence, according to a 1993 audit by the State of Florida, kept STRAIGHT open despite the facts. Phone calls from politicians in 1989 warned health inspectors that it didn't matter what abuse they reported, the clinics would stay open. After all, they were run by a personal friend of the President. "A persistent foul odor," the St. Petersburg Times editorialized.

Then there is the survival of STRAIGHT's ideas. By 1994 the clinics were closed in name, but offshoots continue today - with names like SAFE of Orlando.

With a legacy like this, it's almost enough to make you wonder if potential ambassadors are not chosen for their awesome diplomatic skills but their generosity in giving money to political parties. Italians have taken notice; Sembler earned attention this month during a diplomatic crisis over a March 4 incident when trigger-happy American GIs shot an Italian journalist and killed her rescuer. The Christian news site Reta Della Pace has just published an article on Sembler's past, quoting STRAIGHT parent Fager as saying that 40 STRAIGHT graduates killed themselves.

It's no wonder Italians are bewildered. Prison abuse scandals at Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo Bay have Europeans wondering if their once-admired ally, the U.S., is O.K. in the head. And now we're leaving the impression that it's O.K. - heroic, even - to treat young Americans like Guantanamo Bay inmates.

Meanwhile, the children of the Eighties continue to disagree with Sembler's claim that he saved thousands from drugs.

"It's never left my head even after 17 years!!!" posts 1988 graduate Becky Wright, one unsatisfied Straight client. Also typical is Kelly Caputo's post: "I was abused on a daily basis, and have silently suffered for years as a result. I don't think I will ever be the same. My every thought has been violated, confused, degraded, and warped. . . . When my book comes out, God knows when, and I become famous, LOL, Sembler will be sorry."

The same day as the Iraq killing, the Washington Post awarded Sembler the "Narcissism Run Amok" award. He'd made history by convincing a friend of his in Congress to quietly insert a line into an appropriations bill, renaming an $83 million building 'The Mel Sembler Building.'

"We don't do that, do we?" George W. Bush reportedly told the congressman. "We don't name buildings for ambassadors where they have served."

"Mr. President," the Post quoted the congressman as saying, "I introduced the bill and you signed it."

Zany fun. It was a first - even Ben Franklin never arranged for something like this, and he was full of himself.

Unimpressed by the Mel Sembler Building, a tribute to a man who doesn't speak Italian, the Italians decided several days later to leave Iraq.

Why should you care about the STRAIGHT story? Because there's been a national debate over whether torture is worth it if it gets terrorists to reveal their secrets. Some worry we've opened Pandora's Box, inviting torture and ends-define-the-means abuse into the rest of the American way of life. But it's old news. Turns out that in some states we've been using it on teenagers for years. [Emphasis added.] See Flogging for God.

(The ambassador has declined an interview request, has said he won't answer questions about STRAIGHT, and his attorney did not return my e-mail.)
Step on out Melvin! We can't see you for the flag!
Quote:

Ambassador de Sade
By John Gorenfeld, AlterNet.
Posted November 8, 2005.
http://alternet.org/story/27725/

Bush rewarded one of his loyalists with the ambassadorship to Italy -- despite his past as the founder of an cult-like teen rehab clinic. Eugenia Chien, Pacific News Service

Mel Sembler, former US Ambassador to Italy. REUTERS/Tony Gentile

Among our president's appointments of GOP activists to important posts, we've done worse than Melvin Sembler, the Ambassador to Italy who couldn't speak Italian. Unlike the FEMA chief, who had real responsibilities, Sembler sometimes found himself a fifth wheel around his own embassy. As the Washington Monthly has reported, the scandal that claimed Scooter Libby's job last month may have sprung from secret Rome meetings between neocons, an Iran-Contra figure and an Italian intelligence boss who later pushed phony WMD documents -- all behind Sembler's back.

But where Melvin Sembler, 74, demands attention is as an object lesson in how cruelty can be redeemed by the transformative power of political donations. For 16 years, Sembler, with his wife Betty, directed the leading juvenile rehab business in America, STRAIGHT, Inc., before seeing it dismantled by a breathtaking array of institutional abuse claims by mid-1993. Just one of many survivors is Samantha Monroe, now a travel agent in Pennsylvania, who told The Montel Williams show this year about overcoming beatings, rape by a counselor, forced hunger, and the confinement to a janitor's closet in "humble pants" -- which contained weeks of her own urine, feces and menstrual blood. During this "timeout," she gnawed her cheek and spat blood at her overseers. "I refused to let them take my mind," she says of the program. The abuse took years to overcome.

"It sticks inside you," she told Williams, "it eats at your soul." She told AlterNet that she was committed at 12, in 1980, for nothing more than being caught with a mini-bar-sized liquor bottle, handed out by a classmate whose mother was a flight attendant. Samantha's mother suspected more, and a STRAIGHT expert reassured her fears. The small blonde junior high-schooler was tricked into being taken to the warehouse-like STRAIGHT building. Her mother, told by counselors that her daughter was a liar, was encouraged to trick the girl for her own good.

Overcome by dread in the lobby, Samantha tried to run but was hauled into the back by older girls. Inside, as was standard operating procedure, she began the atonement process that cost over $12,000 a year: all-day re-education rituals in which flapping the arms ("motivating") and chanting signaled submission to "staying straight." She was coerced, she says, into confessing to being a "druggie whore" who went down on truckers for drugs. "You're forced to confess crimes you never committed." (Some survivors call it extortion.)

Melvin Sembler stepped down earlier this year as Our Man In Rome -- he also served under the first Bush as Ambassador to Australia. Were Monroe's story unique, his STRAIGHT clinics might still be in business. Instead, his creation, which he stubbornly defends, closed under a breathtaking array of institutional abuse claims by 1993, ranging from sexual abuse, beating and stomping to boys called "faggots" for hours while being spat upon -- humiliation so bad that a Pennsylvania judge recently ruled it potentially mitigating of a Death Row sentence for a former STRAIGHT teen who committed a homophobic murder.

Although prosecutors closed the clinics, six-figure settlements sucked it dry, and state health officials yanked its licenses after media reports of teen torture and cover-up, Sembler himself escaped punishment. As one of the preeminent and hardest-working GOP fundraisers, Sembler has received the honor of living during the George W. Bush presidency at the Villa Taverna, the official residence for the U.S. ambassador, which has the largest private garden in Rome. One night in May at "The Magic Kingdom" (as Mel and Betty call it), the dining room filled with smoke from fine cigars, as the ambassador entertained Bush Sr. and an entourage -- until Betty complained that the old friends were stinking up "my house," the Washington Post reported.

He's come home, but still wafting across national drug policy is the influence of his STRAIGHT, which has legally changed its identity to the Drug Free America Foundation (director Calvina Fay denies it's the same organization but the name change is listed in Florida corporate filings). Subsidized by tax dollars, it lobbies for severe narcotics policies and workplace drug testing, with an advisory board that includes the like of Gov. Jeb Bush and his wife Columba, and Homeland Security Director of Public Safety Christy McCampbell. A more pressing issue is that former overseers of Sembler's company, true believers in the STRAIGHT model, are still running spin-off businesses that treat teens with the old methods.

Starting out STRAIGHT

The story begins in 1976 when Sembler, who'd made his fortune in Florida real estate, founded STRAIGHT from the ashes of The Seed -- an earlier program suspended by the U.S. Senate for tactics reminiscent, said a senator, of Communist POW camps. But as the Reagan years rolled into view, and a climate of fear nurtured a Shock and Awe approach to teens, the Semblers found a new world of acceptance for an anything-goes treatment business, meting out punishment in privately run warehouses. Endorsers from Nancy Reagan to George H.W. Bush lent their names to the program, celebrating a role model weapon in the "war on drugs."

Nine years before the elder Bush took office, Sembler was a faithful political supporter, and raising millions beginning in '79 for the Bushes' clash with Reagan for the Republican nomination. In 1988, as Bush finally accepted the GOP's nomination for president, Sembler sat in the front row. With his man in the White House, STRAIGHT would become a vehicle for purchasing eminence as a Drug War thinker. By 1988, Sembler wasn't just running the Vice President's "Team 100" soft money campaign and enjoying steak dinners with him -- he was sojourning in George and Barbara Bush's living room, briefing the candidate on drug policy. As a token of his friendship, he gave Bush a new tennis racket, receiving this note in return: "Maybe we can play at Camp David someday."

And Sembler's success grew and grew as the Clinton era spooled out. The slickly dressed go-getter smashed records as RNC Finance Chairman from 1997 to 2000, chairing the "Regents" club that accommodated such super donors as Enron's Ken Lay to fund George W. Bush's campaign machine.

Meanwhile, a coast-to-coast trail of human wreckage had ensued during STRAIGHT's reign from 1976 to 1993 -- its survivors claimed physical, sexual and psychological trauma. The Web sites Fornits.com and TheStraights.com have collected many of their stories. Posts Kelly Caputo, an '88 alumna: "I don't think I will ever be the same. My every thought has been violated, confused, degraded and warped."

"My best guess is that at least half of the kids were abused," says Dr. Arnold Trebach, a professor emeritus at American University who created the Drug Policy Foundation to find alternatives to harsh laws. He has singled out STRAIGHT in his book "The Great Drug War" as among drug warriors' worst mistakes.

But today, Sembler's trail of purchased political friendships has led him through the opulent doors of the $83 million "Mel Sembler Building" in Rome, christened this year with help from a longtime ally in Congress, Rep. C.W. Bill Young (R-FL). Not the palace where Sembler worked as ambassador, but another of the Eternal City's architectural treasures, built in 1927 and now dedicated as an annex to the U.S. Embassy in a $30 million renovation at taxpayer expense. "Narcissus is now Greek and Roman," said the Washington Post of the monument. No one could remember any other diplomat receiving such honors, not even Benjamin Franklin.

"We don't do that, do we?" George W. Bush reportedly told the congressman, according to Congressman C.W. Bill Young 's (R-Florida) speech during the ceremony. "We don't name buildings for ambassadors where they have served."

"Mr. President," the politician replied, "I introduced the bill and you signed it." Bush may have missed the Sembler Building provision, tucked as it was into an appropriations bill. But he owed much to the longtime family friend, whom he thanked on "The Jim Lehrer Report" [RealAudio] in 2000 for raising $21.3 million at a single dinner in April, a new record. Asked what favors the money paid for, Bush professed wonderment at the premise: "I know there's this kind of sentiment now -- I heard it during the primaries ... [that] if someone contributes to a person's campaign, there's this great sense of being beholden."

At the Sembler Building, visitors can stroll among the Italian frescoes of cherubs and heavens, and marvel at the spoils of Bush family loyalty, and meditate on the human costs that made Sembler's paradise possible.

STRAIGHT's practices

Melvin Sembler's Jekyll-and-Hyde empire appealed to parents with cheery pamphlets bearing pictures of happy and reunited families that had put their horrible pasts behind them.

Even Princess Diana had graced the clinics with a visit, celebrating STRAIGHT as a humanitarian institution. George H.W. Bush named the program among his "thousand points of light." But many called it Hell.

Taking in new kids without much discrimination -- many addiction-free -- STRAIGHT staff assured parents that a variety of troubled teens could benefit from their brand of discipline.

Vanished from home and school, the newcomer would enter the care of a "host home" overseen, at night, by the same counselors up in her face by day. Over the months, patients like Samantha Monroe earned back basic privileges like speaking or, in the distant future, going to the bathroom alone, without an ever-present minder's thumb in the belt loop -- literally. The counselors were themselves STRAIGHT kids, who had been molded into drug warriors in the heat of humiliation. They'd learned to play along and join the winning side, becoming the hall monitors and the muscle that enforced the rules.

From the outset, STRAIGHT's method was on thin ice with regulators. The underpinnings had long struck critics as more Pyongyang than Pinellas County. Sembler took his blueprint from another St. Petersburg program, The Seed, in which his son had enrolled in the 1970s. The Senate was less impressed than Sembler with The Seed. Senator Sam Ervin, who'd brought down Richard Nixon, killed the program's federal subsidies for funding a method "similar to the highly refined 'brainwashing' techniques employed by the North Koreans." Ervin's 1974 probe into the rise of treatment abuse articulated an admirable American ideal: that "if our society is to remain free, one man must not be empowered to change another's personality and dictate the values, thoughts and feelings of another." Sembler had other ideals in mind, as hundreds of STRAIGHT victims would later attest.

Finally, one by one, the 12 clinics, which had once formed a nine-state empire, went dark. Much of the money was lost in settlements, but jury verdicts offered a peek into the regularity of the abuses. Florida patient Karen Norton was awarded $721,000 by a jury after being thrown against a wall in 1982 by the Semblers' treatment guru of choice: Dr. Miller Newton, whose unaccredited Ph.D was in public administration, but was tapped by the Semblers as STRAIGHT National Clinical Director. He's emblematic of how the creature Sembler built just won't stop sprouting heads, having personally launched spinoff businesses with names like KIDS. As a result, Newton has paid out over $12 million to his victims. Having moved back to Florida, he now calls himself "Friar Cassian," a priest in the non-Catholic Antiochian Orthodox church.

But just last month, Betty Sembler testified in a case against a STRAIGHT critic that Miller Newton, the dark cleric of rehab, is "a very close and dear friend and a valued one," and an "outstanding individual." Had he committed outrageous acts? "Absolutely not," she said, adding that it was incomprehensible that ex-STRAIGHT teen Richard Bradbury was picketing Newton. Thanks to her judgment of character, Newton has been given a voice in national drug policy, listed as a participant in a Drug Free America Foundation "International Scientific and Medical Forum."

From the beginning, critics were shocked to find that the keepers freely acknowledged many of the tactics -- yet insisted they were necessary. Mel Sembler even seems to have been emboldened by painful questions about his clinics. "We've got nothing to hide -- we're saving lives," he said in 1977 after six directors quit over practices that included kicking a restrained youth. He remained closely involved in personnel management. Almost two decades later, recalling how the ACLU was furious about STRAIGHT's practices, Sembler told Florida Trend Magazine in 1997 -- "with a grin," the reporter wrote -- that "it just shows that we must have been doing things right."

And rather than clean up Florida's program, he apparently leaned on health inspectors in 1989 to go easy on it. Reports of a cover-up wouldn't emerge for four more years -- long years, for the teenagers committed to a program that wouldn't lose its license until 1993. STRAIGHT foe Bradbury, believing he'd been "brainwashed" into becoming an abusive counselor, brought the clinics to the attention of the state after years of protest. Inspector Lowell Clary of the Florida Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services found that reports of illegally restrained and stomped-on teens had been swept under the rug, likely with help from Republican state senators, who went unnamed, but made phone calls urging the clinic stayed open. A "persistent foul odor" hung over this use of power, said a St. Petersburg Times Op-Ed applauding the death of STRAIGHT.

"While at the facility," wrote Florida Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services Acting Inspector General Lowell Clary on May 19, 1993, "the team [of inspectors in 1989] received a phone call informing them that no matter what they found, STRAIGHT would receive their license." "If you do anything other than what I tell you on this issue, I will fire you on the spot," an HRS official was told. Clary wasn't positive, but evidence suggested that "pressure may have been generated by Ambassador Sembler and other state senators."

By now, Clinton was in office. Four years earlier, while young "druggies" were still being restrained to chairs for 12 hours, denied medication and sent to the hospital with injuries, the 1989 report would have tarnished President George H.W. Bush's "points of light." Bush had designated STRAIGHT an American treasure. On that fragile premise, not one but two STRAIGHT presidents had been named ambassadors in 1989, the year of the Florida inspection. Sembler got the Australian assignment. The other post sent co-founder Joseph Zappala to Spain armed for diplomacy with a high school education. The two were mocked in People as "too hick to hack it." They'd clowned around during the nomination process, turning in nearly identical answers on Senate disclosure forms. In the "languages spoken" box Sembler had written, humorously, "English (fluent)."

That took real cheek. These two pranksters had been leaders of a group characterized as a destructive cult by top authorities on cult abuse ranging from Steve Hassan of the Freedom Of Mind Center to the late Dr. Margaret Singer of UC Berkeley, an expert on the abuse of American servicemen in the Korean War whose expert testimony was used to close a facility in Cincinnati. Bradbury, the whistleblower, concurs, saying the program modified his personality into something monstrous. Bradbury attended the St. Petersburg, Florida clinic. "You don't understand what they did to these kids," Bradbury told AlterNet. "They put stuff up my butt."

But you wouldn't know from Sembler's State Department biography that his claim to fame has such a shoddy legal record. The program has the honor of being described as a "remarkable program" in his bio, and it credits STRAIGHT with saving 12,000 kids. The ambassador did not return attempts to contact him during the reporting for this story, and declined the author's interview requests last year through a U.S. Embassy spokesman.

In addition to receiving a second Ambassadorship from the second Bush president, his Governor Jeb Bush named August 8, 2000, "Betty Sembler Day" for her "work protecting children from the dangers of drugs," labeling her "ambassadorable." The next year, at a drug policy conference in Florida, a writer from the Canadian legalization magazine Cannibis Culture asked her about the STRAIGHT victims. "They should get a life," he quotes her as replying. "There's nothing to apologize for. The [drug] legalizers are the ones who should be apologizing."

The ambassador's wife is an outspoken critic of what she calls "medical excuse marijuana," and serves on the boards of such mighty anti-legalization campaigns as the International Task Force On Strategic Drug Policy, which works with Latin American countries to lobby for harsh drug laws. Mel himself used his Rome ambassadorial pulpit for a global conference in 2003, appealing to the "moral imperatives" of the drug war and urging a "culture of disapproval of drug abuse." DFAF, founded by the Semblers, receives hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants from the Small Business Association to advance workplace drug testing in businesses -- for example, a handout in 2000 of $314,000. Betty Sembler is president and Melvin has served as chairman.

STRAIGHT's Spin-offs

Though Sembler's clinics were shuttered, the spirit of STRAIGHT lives on as a flourishing model for drug rehabilitation. That includes offshoots run by former STRAIGHT staff, such as the Orlando STRAIGHT spin-off, SAFE, which was described by 16-year-old Leah Marchessault in 2000 as "something from the Twilight Zone" in a report by Florida's WAMI TV station.

Leah had gone to visit her sister, in for heroin abuse, only to be told she herself was a "druggie" -- sound familiar? And when Leah fled, she was pinned against a wall and assaulted by a pack of nine women members who forced her to undergo a full-body search. Another girl told WAMI of being "forced to stand for about an hour and a half, the attention being focused on me, and about every 10 minutes I was told how I was full of crap, how I needed to be flushed out."

Despite their cheery names -- SAFE in Orlando, Florida; Kids Helping Kids of Cincinnati, Ohio; Growing Together of Lake Worth, Florida -- these barely regulated warehouses cry out for oversight. Hungry for recruits, they appeal to the fears of parents by warning a child will die on the streets if uncorrected by their methods.

In the TV report, the presence of a spokeswoman named Loretta Parrish was evidence that SAFE was the child of STRAIGHT -- she'd been the local STRAIGHT's marketing director until 1992, when the old company closed under state scrutiny, and SAFE, a new company, almost immediately sprang up to replace it. A new head for the hydra: Parrish didn't dispute the visiting sister's horrifying experience, but called it necessary, as if explaining something something obvious to her since the '80s.

"Yes we do require that," said Parrish. "And if they don't, then they have to remove the other child. This is a family treatment program. And unless the entire family is in treatment, it doesn't work."

"We do not do a strip search that is different from any other treatment program," she adds, and later described the teens and moms attacking SAFE as "a coalition of cockroaches." Gov. Jeb Bush even endorsed SAFE in a letter he wrote as "a valuable tool."

And so with the former STRAIGHT bosses rich in Republican honors, and insulated in a political Xanadu not unlike the alternate reality field engulfing the White House, a new generation of teenagers is going under the hammer, as an old generation of victims finds cold comfort for their own suffering. If this is the compassionate kind of conservatism, how harsh the other variety must be.

John Gorenfeld, a freelance writer in San Francisco, will be blogging further details of this story at gorenfeld.net/john.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mike Malloy Forum Index -> The Library All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: